Thursday, September 22, 2011

My thoughts on the Book "Startling Beauty: My Journey from Rape to Restoration By: Heather Gemmen"

Basically, I am writing down a few unfinished thoughts at 1:20 in the morning. I found this book to be very readable and cliche. It's a good christiany and relatively clean overview with a happy ending. The problem with that is, rape isn't about happy endings. You can't make this story good or happy without sounding stupid. Alright, I aknowledge that this isn't a well thought out book review, and it isn't the final review of the story at all. Just had to throw this out there. It seemed trivialized. She is minimizing the struggle as she writes, any survivor reading this can see all over the page where she just doesn't want to face it in all it's ugliness, brokeness and vile disgusting yuckiness. Reading this book there was an obvious lack of appropriate anger. She never got sufficiently angry with this man. Never dealt with it. You can't really just go straight to forgiving till you can look at what it is you are forgiving! It was so laced with religiousity and niceness that I wanted to gag. There is nothing nice about rape or the situation it creates...the restoration indicated by the title can't be genuine, she's not come anywhere near acknowledging the depth of the loss...you generally have to walk through the deep valleys to get from one peak to the next, it doesn't come so easily. Sure enough, I google her and see what has happened since...her marriage fell apart under the strain of raising a child conceived in rape. This book leaves one feeling the emptiness all the more sharply. It is also triggering, despite it's sappy style. Which leads to still being up thinking about such lovely subjects as past rapes at 1:30 in the morning. Her glibness throughout leaves me feeling really irritated...no mention of her sleepless nights, no night terrors, nightmares, waking up screaming and staying up days on end so you don't have to fall asleep...no flashbacks, no PTSD? How she get off so easy? I truelly wanted to smack everyone in this story...and a few people in my own story...and then myself a few times for being such an angry bitch...but safe to say, I'm in touch with my anger, which is after all nothing more than fear in disguise...a really bad disguise...and a really really run on sentence to complete todays blog entry...that's pretty much all I'm thinkin'. I'll write the real review later on the book reviewer site, maye here too if it is good...let's see if I can fit one more run on sentence into this...yeap, think I just did.

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty! You make some good points here. Like being in touch with your anger is a good thing, and that we have to slog through the crud sometimes before we can get to the next high place. thanks for this frank appraisal. Now what are you going to do about your flashbacks?

    ReplyDelete