Friday, September 23, 2011

For what ever reason, my blog decided not to let me post comments under my entries today. So, here is some follow up on what I posted last night.

Reply to Mama K

I actually don't flashback anymore. I had PTSD counselling several years ago, learned to stay grounded where I am. Over time, it stopped even being a struggle, I can stay in the present and not drift off involuntarily. Which is not to say I don't think about it and have aggitation and insomnia, but I don't experience terror, uncontrolled fear, or lose a sense of where I am. It's been a long process. Thanks Mama K! :) You always seem to have the right words when I need them!

What hope can I offer someone recently going through this?

It's not the uphill climb and constant struggle it used to be. There are a lot of symptoms early on in the process that leave you feeling crushed under the weight of the aftermath. I'm certainly more outspoken now and can give voice to those feeling that I do have. I think that is mostly healthy. At least it is healthier than feeling I can't say it out of the need to conform to some misguided false piety. I've also stopped experiencing shame. Freedom from shame, victory over flashbacks, regaining my voice have been steps along the way. It wont feel like this forever. It may feel like it right now, to someone going through this, but you will pass through this.

The objection that talking about it makes people uncomfortable

So? It should make all of us uncomfortable that there is an epidemic of crushing proportions destroying women. It shouldn't be a silent epidemic. Women need to know they are not alone. There needs to be a growing discomfort and a public outrage against this!

No comments:

Post a Comment