Monday, August 22, 2011

Rescue? Adoption? These are FARM animals.

I am increasingly irritated by the terms used to describe acquiring animals. I purchase one, or take one off someone's hands free of charge if it is in particularly rough condition. If it is in poor health, I will work to rehabilitate it. I have gotten great deals on animals that needed lots of TLC. Orphans, bottle fed goat kids, emaciated milk goats with lame feet, geese with bad habits, unwanted abandoned ducklings, malnourished bull calf that is a dairy breed and therefore deemed "worthless" and so on, all find a place on our farm. People say things like "adoption", "part of the family", "rescue", "a forever home" (yeah, in my FREEZER). This bothers me because I feel it cheapens adoption. Animals are not a part of my family. They are never in my house. They sleep in the barn.  I only rescue them in the sense that I restore their health so that I can benefit from what they produce, be it milk, eggs or meat. That doe eyed, caramel brown jersey bull calf? He is healthy and fat now, getting fatter. Half of him is going in my freezer and half is going to be sold to line my wallet. Let's not stoop to call that a rescue, it isn't quite philanthropic of me. Those three geese taken to their forever homes...Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Those emaciated milk goats? Gaining rapidly, healthy, walking better and providing me with organic milk and cheeses. Many times I have needed rescued, physically, emotionally, financially, or spiritually. May God protect me from being "rescued" as the animals have been, for the advantage of the rescuer, indebted to them for what I can produce. That is not a rescue, not an adoption. I think we tend to view God like this when He says we are rescued, adopted as sons. We think we are rescued from our freedom and into an indebted bondage of owing our rescuer who has a long list of hard rules for living. We miss that in reality we were already in bondage, that we are eternally freed now to be who we were fully created to be, and adopted as heirs and dearly loved children.

No comments:

Post a Comment