Saturday, October 15, 2011

Life is More Than Striving and Work...Lessons in Cat-sitting

I'm not generally one to waste my resources on girlie pursuits. It's not that I don't like things to be pretty, or enjoy fashionable clothing; it just doesn't normally seem practical or fit with my lifestyle. My clothes are for covering my body. My make up routine consists of washing my face with warm water, and applying chapstick. I use a men's razor because it is the same as the women's razor, but not as frilly or pink, and is less expensive. My animals all have a purpose. Goats for milk. Outdoor cats for pest control. Chickens for eggs and meat. I have a pair of work boots, a pair of flip flops, and a pair of heels for wearing to church. I'm considering adding a pair of practical black flats, since the heels are open toed and winter is approaching. I don't understand why anyone needs more than one pair of any type of shoe. For example, why own two pairs of running shoes if you can only run in one pair at a time?

The other day, I did something completely out of character. I borrowed a cat. I have half grown cats already, kittens we got this spring. They eat the mice in the barn and they get in the house and keep the mice out, or kill any they find indoors, and we throw them back out again. This is a different sort of cat though. He is a pudgy, middle aged, fastidiously clean, fluffy companion animal. He hides while the kids are awake and only comes out to join me in the quiet hours of the evening and night, and early morning devotional time. He has no practical use. I put the kids to bed and he comes out of hiding. We each have a little dinner and go lounge in the bed. There is once again, the comforting sounds of someone snoring on the other side of the bed at night, that has been missing since Chris took a night job in June. There is someone to have my bedtime snack with, and to sit quietly with when the sun is coming up. I have become one of those people who have an animal in their house, though I let him outside to go potty.

It's kind of nice actually, after he goes home, I may have to let one of my cats be an indoor cat after all. I don't have to share him with anyone, and the only reason he is here is that I enjoy him. He's quite pretty. His ample pudge keeps my feet warm at night and my lap warm over morning coffee. Sometimes, I get so busy, doing all the things that need done, or learning all the things I want to read up on and learn, that I don't do or have anything for simple pleasure of enjoying them. It has me thinking and reflecting on how I used to destress. I can't recall my last painting, or when I stopped sketching. I think I'll slow down and do things just to enjoy them again. I've missed that. I've missed the ability to have something so frivolous as a pet, or to do things because I want to. It feels lazy almost, and I like it! So there! :) Life is more than striving and work.

1 comment:

  1. Good post! It makes sense that de-stressing matters as much as the obviously practical. Do it! Do things just to enjoy them again! I want to hear how that goes!

    ReplyDelete